Sunday, May 8, 2011

Off-Grid

Once per year or so, I just get an itching to go out in the woods and stay there.

I know I could do it.  I want to do it.  I just can't seem to find the time.  Since the summer between my junior and senior year of high school, I've either been at school or working.  These two things just don't lend themselves to a man living off-grid in the woods.  Plus, I just don't think Jonna would be okay with me if I lived in a hut without running water or electricity.  In fact, I rather doubt that she would visit.

But I really want to.  I've thought about it a lot.  Here's my plan:
I live in the middle of nowhere already.  Finding an abandoned spot to set up camp would not be a hard thing to do.  Finding one that would allow me to farm and have clean water would be harder, but I am confident that if I was given about a month to find a place, I could find a pretty nice one.  A week would probably be enough time even.
Secondly, I would need to bring a few tools.  I'm idealistic, not stupid.  I would want a few pots and pans, some utensils, an axe, a hammer and nails, a sleeping bag, and a bunch of other stuff I'm too excited to think about right now.  The list would be large, I admit, but I would be able to carry them in just a few trips.  I want to live off-grid, not like a caveman.
Thirdly, I would need plants.  Obviously, I would bring a good bit of food.  I would want to be able to be self-sufficient though, which would mean that I would need to bring stuff to grow.  Tomatoes, potatoes, beans, and corn.  I'm sure there are a few other things I would bring along once the time to go actually rolled around, but those are the ones that come to mind right now.  If I was going to be there long term, I would also want chickens and a greenhouse, maybe one like this.

How could I possible live with just a few tools, some food, and plants?  Simply.  My first order of business would be to set up a shelter.  A little hut wouldn't be hard to build, and I could live in a tent until it was finished.  I would need a method of collecting water (and probably a little stream and some filtration system).  And that's it.  Obviously stuff *will* go wrong, so I'll need a cell phone and/or radio too.  And a first aid kit wouldn't be a bad idea.  And a gun.  You can never go wrong with a gun.

But I really, really want to do this.  I'll probably never have the chance.  As far as I know, I'm planning on being a slave to consumerism for the rest of my life.  And that's fine.  It's just a wandering thought that I have always had, and probably always will.

*long, heartfelt, pitiful sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment