Saturday, May 14, 2011

My Updates are Cooler than Michaels.

My freshman year of college has ended.  Holy. Crap.

It somehow didn't manage to hit me until right now. I mean, I've got a few more years until graduation, but it's still a big step.  I just...it's weird.  In the best of ways.

So what did I learn in college?

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for all the blog posts ever. But hey, I can relay a few tips to you.
  1. The first thing that people need to know about college is that it really isn't that different from high school.  Sure, there's more freedom and junk like that, but it's not different enough to change my opinion of school.  It may have been different for other people, but to me, nothing changed a TON.  It would seem to me that if you didn't like high school, you'll like college even less.  But hey, it might just be me.
  2. College is EXPENSIVE.  I'm sure you thoght you knew that, but you don't realize the full cost.  Yes, you'll spend $600 on books.  You'll blow lot's of thousands on school itself.  The cost that really sneaks up on you is the cost of living.  You'll want snacks for in your dorm.  You'll want to go out to eat and see movies with friends.  God forbid you want to go out on a date--assuming that you're a guy and will pay for everything.  Now, everyone doesn't spend a ton.  My roommate and I never bought snacks, but I did spend lots going out to eat and everything.  I probably spent $100 or so per week.  My roommate probably spent...$0-$25 per week.  It all depends on your personal spending habits.  I'm just saying: tuition isn't the only thing you'll be paying for.
  3. Did you know that studying works? It was a revelation to me for sure. In high school, I always just payed attention (kinda) in class.  Tests always had a nice 100 on the top of them.  College?  It's a whole lot harder.  You'll need to actually put effort into what you do.  Read the book, do the homework, study. You'll do a whole lot better for it.
  4. Buy an alarm clock and actually use it.  I know lots of people who overslept nearly every day. (Eyes on you Michael and Graham).
  5. Keep your packing light. Else, moving out will suck hard.
  6. Roll with it. You can't expect everything to go right all the time, and you're just going to have to learn to deal with it.
  7. Plan hard. Plan often. Plan well.  As numero six says, it won't always work. It doesn't hurt to try though. The more you plan, the more will go according to plan. It's just good for life.
  8. (And Jonna added this one while I wasn't looking) LUV YOOR GIRLFRAN WICH YOOR HOLE HART. SPEEND ALL YOOR MUNY ON HER.

2 comments:

  1. THIS IZ JONNA. I DID KNOT ADD DIS TO THE BLOOG. LINELL DIED.

    DID.

    WUTEVER.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only really ever overslept (on accident) that first semester. Then I turned my alarm up to 17 and always played Dragonforce. By the way, other people, this definitely works. It's a little hard to sleep when suddenly high-pitched guitar riffs are blaring next to your face.

    ReplyDelete